Andy Balaura is a member of the firm's Labour & Employment Practice and Privacy Law Group.
Andy practices exclusively in the area of management-side Labour and Employment Law. He advises corporate clients on a wide range of human resource issues, including employee discipline and discharge, employment and consulting contracts, workplace investigations, collective agreement administration, obligations of departing employees, and the statutory obligations of employers pursuant to the Employment Standards Act and Ontario Human Rights Code. He has presented seminars, training programs, and papers on a variety of employment law topics.
Andy has appeared as litigation counsel before the Ontario Courts on wrongful dismissal matters, injunctive proceedings, and occupational health and safety prosecutions. He has represented employer clients before the Ontario Labour Relations Board, Workplace Safety and Insurance Tribunal and the Ontario Human Rights Tribunal. Andy is also active as a member of the Board of Directors of several not-for-profit organizations.
Andy is fluently bilingual in Ukrainian and English.
B.A. (Hons.), University of Toronto (1996)
LL.B., University of Windsor (2000)
Called to the Ontario Bar, 2002
- Canada's Anti-Spam Legislation: The Clock is Ticking... (May 2013)
- Privacy Protection (November 2012)
- Employee Benefits: Taxable, or Not? (September 2012)
- Ontario's Top Court Recognizes the Tort of Invasion of Privacy (February 2012)
- Businesses Have to be Ready for Bill 168 (September 2010)
- Get Set for Bill 168 (June 2010)
- Bill 168 - Cracking Down on Violence and Harassment in the Workplace (November 2009)
- H1N1 - Is Your Workplace Prepared? (October 2009)
- Construction Law - Year in Review (December 2008)
- Honda Driven to Litigation Success (published by Canadian Lawyer InHouse - October 2008)
- Employers - Drive a Honda to Litigation Success (July 2008)
- First Family Day (February 2008)
- Pallett Valo LLP Introduces a Workforce Risk Management Solution (March 2007)
- How Good Employment Contracts Can Benefit Employers and Employees (September 2006)
- Disability During Reasonable Notice - What Every Employer Should Know (August 2006)
- Kelly v. Linamar Corp - When an Employee is Criminally Charged for Off-Duty Conduct (published by the Human Resources Professionals Association - April 2006)
- Recent Developments in Labour and Employment Law (August 2005)
- Mandatory Retirement (June 2005)
- Privacy Law 2 'What it Means to your Business' (June 2004)
- Employment Law - Legislative Update (May 2004)
- Supreme Court Disallows the Re-litigation of a Criminal Conviction at Arbitration (December 2003)
- Supreme Court Rules that Arbitrators can Apply Employment and Human Rights Statutes During Grievance Proceedings (October 2003)
- Privacy Law 'What it means to your business' (October 2003)