Alex Ilchenko is the Head of Pallett Valo’s Insolvency & Corporate Restructuring Practice.
He is also a member of the Commercial Litigation, Remedies, Cross Border and Alternative Dispute Resolution Services Groups.
As Senior Counsel, Alex has spent over 25 years as a seasoned litigator, with a strong insolvency & corporate restructuring commercial litigation practice.
He represents debtors, secured and unsecured creditors, trustees and receivers, lenders, suppliers, and landlords in Bankruptcy and Receivership proceedings, as well as proceedings under the Companies’ Creditors Arrangement Act (CCAA).
Alex appears before the Ontario Superior Court of Justice, Commercial List, and the Bankruptcy Registrar’s Court. He has also appeared before the Nova Scotia Supreme Court and the Court of Appeal for Ontario and in proceedings before the Supreme Court of Canada.
Alex’s extensive experience enables him to represent trustees in bankruptcy, receivers, and monitors appointed under the CCAA, as well as individual and corporate debtors, secured and unsecured creditors, landlords, purchasers of assets from insolvent entities, construction lien claimants, directors of insolvent entities, auctioneers and liquidators.
- Certified by the Law Society of Ontario as a Specialist in Bankruptcy and Insolvency Law, 2008
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, Ontario Bar Association Insolvency Subsection Executive
- Chair, Bankruptcy and Insolvency Litigation Practice Group, The Advocates’ Society
- Business Law Advisory Council, Panel on Reform of Fraudulent Conveyance and Avoidance Legislation – Government of Ontario
- OBA representative and the Secretary of the Toronto Registrar’s Court Committee, Ontario Superior Court of Justice
- OBA liaison to the Board of Directors of Ontario Association of Insolvency and Restructuring Professionals
- Member, Peel Law Association
- President, Ukrainian Canadian Bar Association
- Honorary General Counsel, Last Post Fund
- Second Vice President, Ukrainian Canadian Congress – National Board
- Member, Officers Mess Committee, The Queen’s Own Rifles of Canada
Other Publications and Presentations
- Speaker, “Effect of Government Liens and Prescribed Security Interests on Refinancing Transactions”, OBA Program, Toronto – December, 2017
- Speaker, “Director and Officer Liability”, UCBA Program, Toronto – November, 2017
- Speaker, “Representative Counsel in Insolvency Proceedings”, LSUC Program, Toronto – October, 2017
- Speaker, “Insolvent Estates”, UCBA Program, Toronto – June, 2017
- Panelist, “Current legal and administrative issues for Trustees in Bankruptcy at the Bankruptcy Registrars Court”, OAIRP Continuing Education Seminar – April, 2017
- Panelist, “Insolvency Litigation Q&A with the Bench”, TAS Program, Toronto – October, 2016
- Speaker, “Dispute Resolution”, UCBA Program, Toronto – October, 2016
- Speaker, “Insolvency Litigation”, Osgoode Hall Professional Development Program, Toronto – June, 2016
- Panelist, “Hot Topics in Insolvency Litigation”, TAS Program, Toronto – June, 2016
- Speaker, “Director and Environmental Liabilities”, UCBA Program, Toronto – April, 2016
- Speaker, “Judicial Reform, Ukrainian Free Trade With Canada And Fighting Corruption – Toolkit For The Canadian Lawyer”, UCBA Program, Toronto – November, 2015
- Speaker, “Debtor and Creditor Issues”, UCBA Program, Toronto – June, 2015
- Instructor, “Common Issues in Personal Bankruptcy”, National Judicial Institute – April 2015
- Speaker, “Asset Protection and Judgement Proofing strategies”, Osgoode Hall CLE Panel, Toronto – March, 2015
- Panelist, “Case update on recent cases of interest to Bankruptcy Trustees”, OAIRP Continuing Education Seminar – October, 2014
- Speaker, “Insolvency Case Law Update”, OBA Program, Ottawa – June, 2014
- Panelist, “The priority of Canada Revenue Agency deemed trusts over real property security interests”, OAIRP Continuing Education Seminar – January, 2014
- Panelist, “Allocation of Administration Costs and Super Priorities in Insolvency”, CAIRP Insolvency and Restructuring Forum – May, 2013
- Speaker, “Mid-Market Technical Update”, CAIRP Insolvency and Restructuring Forum – May 2012
- Speaker, “Changes made to the Toronto Bankruptcy Registrar’s Court”, Commercial List Users Committee Education Day – June, 2012
- Speaker, “Bankruptcy, Insolvency and Receivership Essentials, 2012”, Law Society of Upper Canada Program – September, 2012