Bill Kitay is a Member of the Business Law Practice and the Cross Border Services Practice.
His broad practice includes corporate, commercial, securities, mergers and acquisitions, lending transactions and business immigration law. Bill specializes in all business issues related to cross-border matters, representing both Canadian entities that would like to expand into the United States, and US entities that would like to do business in Canada. His clients include corporations of all sizes, from start-up enterprises to companies with annual revenues in the hundreds of millions of dollars. He also assists high net worth individuals considering investments in securities on a private placement basis.
Bill is one of the few lawyers in the Province of Ontario who is called to the bar both in the U.S. (in New York, Connecticut and the District of Columbia) and in Ontario. He is the cross-border legal authority for businesses in the GTA; the one-stop shop for entities large and small if they have any governance issues, investment opportunities or are considering entering into a fundamentally transformative transaction.
The business judgment that Bill has forged over the course of his distinguished career combined with his world-class education and training make him uniquely qualified to provide creative, practical answers for corporate and commercial clients.
- represented the seller of VPN services in the sale of a corporation for US $55 million and was retained by purchaser of this transaction until it was sold to a global concern for over US $300 million
- represented the chemical concern in the offer and sale of preferred shares to three publicly traded global technology enterprises in three separate transactions totaling US $50 million
- represented a real estate business in sale of shares of wholly owned subsidiary that owned property suitable for commercial development in Markham
- represented a long-standing real estate client in several transactions each of which guaranteed co-tenancy related obligations related to development of property in North Toronto
- Additionally, Bill has advised clients on cross border trade and investment promotion, franchise matters, US employment and consulting agreements and incorporation and business formation throughout the US.
Bill’s business training and knowledge complements his considerable cross-border experience to give him a distinct perspective that allows him to work with clients not only as a skilled practitioner, but as a trusted team-member as well. He is not just an authority in the law; he is a problem solver for his clients.
Bill was also responsible for the negotiation and finalization of a Memorandum of Agreement detailing the Strategic Partnership between AmCham Canada and the U.S. Department of Commerce International Trade Administration. This was the first time that this governmental agency ever entered into a Memorandum of Agreement with any enterprise in Canada.