David H. Shlagbaum is the Head of the Family Business Law Group, and a Member of the Business Law, Alternative Dispute Resolution Services, and Wills, Estates and Trusts Practices. He has a broad corporate/commercial, wills and estates, facilitation and ADR practice.
David’s clients are representative of the broad spectrum of closely held Canadian and International businesses, from mid-market to multinational companies. His clients come from a diverse mix of the manufacturing, retail, marketing, food industries, professional services, publishing, entertainment and advisory services sectors. They are entrepreneurs, visionaries, thought leaders and very passionate about what they do.
David is a Family Business Advisor, a Lawyer and a Facilitator. David has an extensive background in Mergers & Acquisitions and has, for the past two decades, focused his attention on helping Families in Business navigate through transition planning and family dynamic issues in an effort to maximize business value. Through an engaged facilitative process, David has been working with Family Enterprises for more than 35 years, laying the groundwork for policies, governance structures and shareholder arrangements designed to promote best practices, transparency, fairness, trust and ultimately, family harmony.
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, Ontario Bar Association
- Member, Canadian IT Law Association
- Member, Advisory Board, Business Transitions Forum
- Member, Attorneys for Family Held Enterprises, U.S.A.
- Member, Family Firm Institute (FFI), U.S.A.
- Board Member, The Canadian Society for the Weizmann Institute of Science
- Member, Advisory Board, 2011 CPA Conference on Business Transition
- Past Member, Canadian Capital Magazine, Advisory Board
- Past Board Member and Member of Executive Committee, CHAT
- Past President and Board Member, FFI Ontario Chapter Board
Other Publications and Presentations
- Member, Board of Advisors, Business Transitions Forum (Toronto) – May, 2020
- Speaker and Panelist, “Structuring & Financing Inter-Family Business Succession”, presented at Law Society of Ontario Program on Buying or Selling a Business 2020 – March, 2020
- Speaker, “HOW DO YOU PREPARE FOR A SALE? Run Your Business as if it’s for Sale!” presented to the GTA Accountants Network, October, 2019
- Speaker, “The Road to Business Transition: Professionalizing the Family Business”, presented to Creative Planning Financial Group, September, 2019
- Panelist, “Professionalizing the Family Business”, presented at The Business Transitions Forum, Toronto, May, 2019
- Member, Board of Advisors, Business Transitions Forum (Toronto) – May, 2019: Find out more
- Guest Lecturer, “Running Your Business As If It’s For Sale” presented to 4th Year Entrepreneurship Class at Ted Rogers School of Management, Ryerson University – March, 2019
- Speaker and Panelist, “2020 Vision: Gain Clarity on the Ultimate Sale of your Business”, co-sponsored by TD Wealth, Cranson Capital and Business Transitions Alliance – November, 2017
- Speaker, “The Business Transition Process: Peeling Back the Onion”, presented to Advocis, Peel Halton Chapter – April, 2017
- Speaker, “The Business Transition Process: Peeling Back the Onion”, presented to the Estate Planning Council of Mississauga – February, 2017
- Guest Lecturer, “The Family Business in Transition”, presented at Schulich School of Business – March, 2016
- Speaker, “Why do I need a Shareholders’ Agreement – He’s my brother!”, presented at TD Wealth client retreat – November, 2015
- Speaker and Panelist, “Tips, Traps and Trepidations”: What You Didn’t Know About Selling Your Business”, presented at the Mississauga Board of Trade’s Business Law Series “Will Your Business Die with You?” – June, 2015
- Co-Presenter, “Family Dynamics: The Quicksand that Can Sink the Family Business – How to Get Unstuck”, presented at Pallett Valo’s Business Law Summit Series – April, 2015
- Member of Advisory Committee, CPA Canada’s National Conference on Business Transitions, and Co-Presenter, “Expecting the Unexpected” – November, 2014
- Guest Lecturer, ‘Governance and Tax Planning in the Family Business’ presented at Schulich School of Business – February, 2013
- Speaker and Panelist, “Family Affair: A Panel Discussion on The Challenges and Benefits of Family-Managed Businesses” presented at Ryerson University’s Ted Rogers School of Management, moderated by Diane Francis – March, 2012
- Speaker and Panelist, “Maximizing The Family Jewel: Transition Planning Strategies to Optimize Business Value” presented at Rotman School of Management, together with Tom Deans and Mark Groulx – November, 2011
- Guest Lecturer, ‘Legal Aspects of Family Firms’, presented at Ryerson University’s Ted Rogers School of Management, April, 2011
- Chair, Legal Netlink Alliance Fall Conference – October, 2010
- Guest Lecturer, ‘Governance and Succession Planning in the Family Enterprise’, presented at Ryerson University’s Ted Rogers School of Management – April, 2010