Krystyne Rusek is a Member of the Estate Litigation Group and Will, Estates & Trusts Practice.
Krystyne specializes in estate litigation, acting for both individuals and trust companies in disputes involving estates, trusts and powers of attorney. Her practice encompasses Will challenges, dependant support claims, fiduciary accountings, estate trustee removal and replacement, trust claims and disputes, guardianship applications and power of attorney disputes. She regularly appears before the Ontario Superior Court of Justice and has appeared at the Ontario Court of Appeal.
Krystyne also assists clients in resolving their disputes, whether through court proceedings or alternative dispute resolution, in a conscientious and cost-effective manner.
In 2012, Krystyne was co-counsel in a leading predatory marriage case Juzumas v. Baron, in which an elderly Lithuanian man was financially targeted by his caregiver. The caregiver was able to manipulate Mr. Juzumas into marrying her and transferring his home to her son. Acting with the Advocacy Centre for the Elderly, Krystyne was successful in voiding the transfer of the house on the basis of unconscionability and undue influence. Krystyne and her co-counsel were also successful in defending the caregiver’s claim for equalization and quantum meruit.
In addition to her experience in estate litigation, Krystyne has a comprehensive background in different areas of law, including estate planning and administration, estate conveyancing, real estate and not-for-profit and charities law.
- Member, Law Society of Upper Canada
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, Ontario Bar Association, Trusts and Estates Law Section
- Member, Ukrainian Canadian Bar Association
- Member, Ukrainian Canadian Professional and Business Association of Toronto
Other Publications and Presentations
- Estate Litigation Involving Charities and Not-for-Profits Churches, Charities, Not-For-Profits Knowledge Hub 2020 – May 2020
- The Application of Limitation Periods in Will Challenges, OBA Institute – February, 2020
- Speaker, “Make a Will Month”, OBA Program, Mississauga – November, 2019
- Family Law Issues Within the Context of Estates and Estate Litigation: Recent Changes to the Succession Law Reform Act; Peel Law Association, Continuing Professional Development – January 2018
- Posthumous Conception: Recent Changes to the Succession Law Reform Act and their Impact on Estate Law: 2017 Estates and Trusts Summit – October 2017
- Wills, Powers of Attorney and Litigation Involving Estates and Loss of Capacity: Presentation to University Settlement, December 2016
- Legal Aspects of Elder Abuse: Toronto Police College, Elder Abuse Investigators Course, October 2016
- Buying and Selling Renovated Homes: McMaster, McIntyre & Smyth Client Information Seminar, March 2016
- Estate Issues in Common-law Relationships and Second Marriages: Presentation to the Marie Curie Sklodowska Association, April 2015
- Responsibilities of Attorneys and Estate Trustees: McMaster, McIntyre & Smyth Client Information Seminar, January 2014
- Wills and Powers of Attorney: Presentation to the Marie Curie Sklodowska Association, April 2013
- Estate Issues in Common-law Relationships and Second Marriages: Presentation to Marina del Rey Condominiums, April 2013
- Real Estate Issues for First-Time Homebuyers: Presentation to RE/MAX clients, February 2013
- Estate Planning: McMaster, McIntyre & Smyth Client Information Seminar, January 2013
- Wills and Powers of Attorney: Presentation to Loyola Arrupe Centre for Seniors, September 2012