Anna Esposito’s practice is focused exclusively on construction law, representing all players in the construction industry, including owners, contractors, subcontractors, materials suppliers, architects, engineers, other design professionals, sureties and insurers, mortgagees, trustees in bankruptcy and industry associations.
As a certified specialist in construction law, Anna advises and represents parties in connection with all types of construction disputes, such as liens, breach of trust, performance bonds, labour and material payment bonds, delay and impact claims, and negligent or deficient design or construction, whether by way of negotiation, arbitration, interim adjudication or litigation. She also assists clients with construction contract preparation and has experience handling bankruptcy and insolvency matters in the context of the construction industry.
Her ability to analyze complex situations, synthesize the key issues, fashion the best options, and communicate complex legal concepts in an easy-to-understand manner, makes her the construction industry’s go-to legal expert.
Clients appreciate her practical approach, taking their business needs and restrictions into account when providing legal remedies. Her attention to detail and high standards of client service are at the core of her successful practice.
As a mediator of construction-related disputes, Anna brings her pragmatic attitude to alternative forms of dispute resolution, assisting parties to resolve claims or disputes, creatively and cost-effectively, without resorting to court. Even mediations that don’t result in an immediate settlement can be valuable, setting the groundwork for future settlement, narrowing issues, or providing a more practical roadmap for litigation.
When litigation is the best or only solution, she represents her clients before all levels of the Ontario Courts, including the Ontario Superior Court of Justice and the Ontario Court of Appeal.
With 35 years of experience, Anna is recognized as a Leading Practitioner in Construction Law by The Canadian Legal Lexpert® Directory, selected by her peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in Canada® for Construction Litigation and is a Fellow of the Canadian College of Construction Lawyers.
Throughout her career, Anna has been a prolific speaker, teaching industry professionals and lawyers about issues relevant to the construction industry and the nuances of construction law.
For 30 years, she served as the firm’s Construction Practice Group Head, and was the firm’s Managing Partner from 2005 until 2010.
- Commercial Litigation,
- Alternative Dispute Resolution (Arbitration & Mediation),
- Bond Claims,
- Conducting Mediations,
- Construction Disputes,
- Construction Insolvency,
- Construction Insurance Coverage and Defence, including Professional Liability Coverage,
- Construction Litigation,
- Contract Disputes,
- Deficiency Claims,
- Delay and Loss of Productivity Claims,
- Drafting and Negotiating Construction Contracts,
- Drafting RFQs, RFPs, Tenders and Other Procurement Documents,
- Enforcement of Securities, Asset and Debt Recovery,
- Leaking Buildings Claims,
- Lien Claims,
- Mediation, Arbitration, Adjudication and Litigation of Construction Disputes,
- Procurement/Tender Disputes,
- Product Liability and Construction Materials-Related Claims,
- Professional Liability and Negligence,
- Professional Negligence Claims,
- Risk Management, Project Delivery and Procurement Strategy,
- Trust Claims
B.A., York University (1982)
LL.B., Osgoode Hall Law School (1985)
Called to the Ontario Bar, 1987
- The 2023 Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory Recognizes Four Pallett Valo Lawyers
- Seven Pallett Valo Lawyers Recognized by Best Lawyers™
- Pallett Valo Lawyers Are Once Again Recognized in the 2022 Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory
- Six Pallett Valo Lawyers Are Recognized in the 2022 Edition of Best Lawyers™ and Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch™
- Three Pallett Valo Lawyers Are Once Again Recognized in the Annual Publishing Of the Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory
- Four Pallett Valo Lawyers Recognized by Best Lawyers®
- Three Pallett Valo Lawyers Recognized in the 2020 Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory
- Three Pallett Valo Lawyers Recognized by Best Lawyers®
- Four Pallett Valo Lawyers Recognized in the 2019 Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory
- Four Pallett Valo Lawyers Recognized In The 2018 Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory
- Member, Toronto Construction Association
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, Ontario Bar Association
- Member, Peel Law Association
- Priority Contest between Liens and Building Mortgages: Court of Appeal Resolves Dispute over Interpretation of Section 78(2) of the Construction Act
- Prejudice to Innocent Third Parties Not an Absolute Bar to Rescission
- Construction Bits and Bites July 2022 – Lien Deadlines
- Court of Appeal Sends Crosstown LRT COVID-19 Decision Back for Rehearing
- Legal Notes: Suspension of Ontario Lien and Procedural Time Periods Lifted
- Emergency Order Suspending Limitation Periods Will No Longer Apply to Construction Act
- Legal Notes: Ontario Time Limitation Suspension Could Cause Industry Confusion
- Province Suspends Limitation Periods – Consequences for Construction Liens
- Certified by the Law Society of Upper Canada as a Specialist in Construction Law
- Fellow, Canadian College of Construction Lawyers
- Recognized as a Leading Practitioner in the area of Construction Law by The Canadian Legal LEXPERT Directory
- Selected by peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in Canada® annually since 2006 in the field of Construction Litigation