Insurance Defence Group Head Sudevi Mukherjee-Gothi has a thriving litigation practice, representing insurance companies, companies with a self-insured retention, health professionals and corporations.
In insurance defence matters, she focuses on occupiers’ liability, motor vehicle liability and the defence of professional liability (pharmacists, veterinarians, lawyers and independent adjusters). Sudevi also has experience in large environmental contamination cases, product liability cases, property damage claims and providing coverage opinions.
She has extensive trial experience and regularly appears before the various levels of court in Ontario. These include the Superior Court of Justice, Ontario Court of Appeal, and various administrative tribunals, as well as the Supreme Court of Canada.
Over the years, Sudevi has achieved practical and effective solutions to the most complex litigation issues. Her love for being a litigator is demonstrated by her commitment to always strive for the best possible outcome. She achieved one of the highest cost orders for an insurance client in a jury trial to date.
Sudevi chairs the firm’s Diversity Committee and its South Asian Marketing committee, The Monsoon Group. She is also actively involved with PV Women’s Network. In addition, she spends a lot of time mentoring both lawyers and law students and is active with the Advocates’ Society and the Ontario Bar Association’s Insurance Executive. Sudevi was a former president of the South Asian Bar Association (Toronto). In 2021, she was nominated as one of the Top 25 Most Influential Lawyers in Canada by Canadian Lawyer magazine.
Sudevi is frequently asked to speak at insurance industry conferences and she routinely provides seminars to clients on practice-related issues and those related to Diversity and Inclusion.
- Commercial Litigation,
- Health Law,
- Insurance Law,
- Insurance Law—Coverage Opinions,
- Insurance Law—Environmental Claims,
- Insurance Law—Fraud,
- Insurance Law—Motor Vehicle Accidents,
- Insurance Law—Occupiers’ Liability,
- Insurance Law—Property Loss
B.A. (Hons.), York University (1997)
LL.B., The University of Western Ontario (2000)
Mini Medical School, University of Toronto (2005)
Called to the Ontario Bar, 2002
- Member-at-Large, Ontario Bar Association, Insurance Law Section Executive
- Member, The Advocates’ Society
- AGR Liaison, Ontario Bar Association – Insurance Section (member of the Executive since 2006: Vice-Chair 2009-2010, Program Coordinator 2007-2009)
- Member, Indo-Canada Chamber of Commerce
- South Asian Bar Association (President 2010-2011, Vice-President of Public Relations 2007-2010)
- Mentor for the South Asian Women in Law
- Mentor for the Black Student Law Association Osgoode (BLSA)
- Mentor for the Western Law BIPOC Mentorship Program
- Member, Oakville Diwali Gala Committee (2018)
- Past Treasurer, Ontario Insurance Professionals Association (OIPA)
- Past Member, Law Society of Ontario – Equity Advisory Group (EAG)
- Why Are Law Firms Still Failing on Diversity?
- Can a Policy Breach Result in a Denial of Coverage Even When Discovered Late in the Litigation?
- Are These Expert Fees Reasonable?
- Application of the Test for Admission of Fresh Evidence
- Does the Fire Protection and Prevention Act, Relieve Liability?
- Was the House Vacant When the Home Owner Moved Out for Medical Treatment?
- Are Costs Not Justified for a Successful Party – One With Insurance?
- Lawyers Swearing Affidavits
- Women in Law: Setting the Agenda for Change
- The Court of Appeal’s Recent Decision on Social Host Liability
- Productions and Affidavit of Documents in Personal Injury Matters
- Court of Appeal Affirms Dismissal of Slip and Fall Action as Being Out of Time; Discoverability Did Not Extend the Limitation Period
- Electronic Waivers – What Is Required for Their Effectiveness?
- Virtual Hearings Are Likely to Retain a Permanent Place in the Judicial Tool Box
- Apportionment of Costs Based on the Insurance Policy Limits
- Recent Decision on Parameters for an Application Before the Divisional Court
- No Costs for the Defendant, Who Is Successful at Trial
- Can There Be Liability for an Injury Sustained During Hockey?
- Battle of the Experts and What Is Reasonable Under the Occupiers’ Liability Act
- Duty to Defend; But There Is Another Policy Responding and Did the Pleadings Go Far Enough?
- What Is Required to Transfer an Action to a Different Jurisdiction?
- Coping with Foreseeable Events
- Sudevi Mukherjee-Gothi Appointed Treasurer of the Ontario Insurance Professionals Association
- Bill 118 –Proposed Amendment to the Occupiers’ Liability Act
- Is There Coverage for a Cancelled Policy?
- Couple v. Vendor – Who Was Right?
- Skateboards, Malls and a Lot of Litigation!
- Is Risk Insurance Enough? What Are the Limits of Insurance Coverage for Builders?
- When an Accident Is Just That – an Accident
- Excluding Parties from attending Examinations for Discovery
- Eggs thrown from a vehicle – does that mean that the accident was occasioned by a motor vehicle?
- Does the Tort of Harassment exist?
- Households, cottages and insurance!
- What Is a Mary Carter Agreement and When to Use It?
- Underinsurance Coverage
- Case law on social host liability continues to evolve
- The Consumer Protection Act vs. The Occupiers’ Liability Act – which prevails when dealing with a waiver of liability?
- Consequences for not having a matter placed into Simplified Procedure
- Oakville Hospital Foundation’s Diwali Gala
- What are your requirements under the Occupier’s Liability Act? Does it apply to you?
- Should cost protection insurance be mandatory?
- Insuring your big day
- Welcome to the Insurance Law Group at Pallett Valo LLP
- New Litigator Enhances Leading Law Firms Capabilities
- French (working knowledge)
- Presenter, Anatomy of a Trial, Ontario Bar Association – June 2022
- Speaker, Winning Body Language for Litigators, The Advocates’ Society – June 2022
- Sudevi Mukherjee-Gothi – Pallett Valo Women Leadership Interview
- Panel speaker, Roundtable of Diversity Associations Town Hall, The Advocates’ Society – February 2022
- Panel speaker, Getting the Most Out of Your Mentor and Sharing Insights, Women in Law Summit – February 2022
- Who Pays for the Productions?, Ontario Bar Association – November 2022
- Presenter, Law Society of Ontario, 4th Motor Vehicle Litigation Summit – “The Apology Act” – September 2021
- Presenter, The Advocates’ Society, Examination-in-Chief Preparation Series – “Getting Ready: Preparing Yourself for Examination-in-Chief” – April 2021
- Speaker, Trios College, Justice in Pieces, Speaking on Insurance Defence Practice, Student Programs, Diversity and Belonging – March 2021
- Instructor, The Advocates’ Society, Motions Skills Training Course – March 2021
- Instructor, The Advocates’ Society, Advocacy Skills Training Series – March 2021
- Speaker, Women In Law Canada, Setting Boundaries – February 2021
- Panel member, Pragmatic Steps for Young Lawyers and Practices to Better Balance Personal and Family Needs With a Growing Practice, Canadian Lawyer Young Lawyers Summit – November 2020
- Mentor, The Advocates’ Society, Equality, Diversity and Inclusion for Litigators Program- October 2020
- Panel speaker, Queen’s Pre Law Society, Diversity and Inclusion in the Law – September 2020
- Skills Instructor, The Advocates’ Society, Remote Skills Workshop: Motions Advocacy – August 2020
- Canada: Home Insurance Coverage for a Workplace Injury? – January 2018
- Ontario Clarifies Rules Around Additional Insureds – January 2018
- Precedent Setter Award, 2012