As Head of Pallett Valo’s Employment & Labour Practice Group, Andy Balaura focuses exclusively on employment and labour law, representing large, mid-sized and small businesses and corporations.
Clients in a wide variety of industries seek his strategic and practical advice on all aspects of the employment relationship.
Led by many years of experience, Andy acts for corporate clients on a broad range of human resource issues. These include drafting employment and contractor agreements, advising on employee discipline and dismissal, negotiating severance packages, developing workplace policies, conducting workplace investigations, advising on privacy obligations and obligations of departing employees, and assisting employers with their compliance obligations pursuant to employment standards and human rights legislation. He also conducts human resource and employment audits on behalf of employers to ensure compliance with applicable laws and preventative best practices.
When it comes to corporate transactions, restructurings and insolvencies, he regularly assists corporate counsel in workplace law issues. Furthermore, Andy provides ongoing guidance to employers as they deal with matters related to union organizing, collective agreement interpretations and grievance arbitration. He uses a proactive and business-minded approach in assisting clients to resolve workplace disputes in an efficient manner.
His impressive track-record includes appearing as litigation counsel before the Ontario Courts on wrongful dismissal matters, injunctive proceedings, and occupational health and safety prosecutions. Andy has also represented numerous employer clients before arbitrators, the Ontario Labour Relations Board, the Workplace Safety and Insurance Tribunal, the Ontario Human Rights Tribunal and the Privacy Commissioner’s office. He vigorously represents the interests of his clients throughout the litigation process.
In addition, Andy conducts third party investigations and advises organizations on compliance with privacy-related statutes. A frequent presenter on employment-related topics, he is also active in the community as a director of several not-for-profit organizations.
- Commercial Litigation,
- Employment and Labour,
- Alternative Dispute Resolution (Arbitration & Mediation),
- Constructive Dismissal,
- Employment Agreements,
- Employment Litigation,
- Executive Compensation,
- Grievance Arbitration,
- Harassment and Discrimination,
- Health and Safety Policies and Procedures,
- Human Rights Matters,
- Injunctions and Breach of Covenants,
- Labour Relations,
- Management Training,
- Occupational Health and Safety,
- Privacy Law and Audits,
- Reprisals and Reinstatements,
- Restrictive Covenants (Confidentiality, Non-Solicitation and Intellectual Property Agreements),
- Temporary Layoffs,
- Warnings and Progressive Discipline,
- Workplace Accommodation,
- Workplace Audits,
- Workplace Investigations,
- Workplace Policies and Procedures Development and Review (including Employee Handbooks),
- Workplace Safety and Insurance,
- Wrongful Dismissal Litigation
B.A. (Hons.), University of Toronto (1996)
LL.B., University of Windsor (2000)
Called to the Ontario Bar, 2002
- Member, The Advocates’ Society
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, Ontario Bar Association
- Member, Peel Law Association
- Treasurer, Ukrainian Canadian Bar Association
- Director, SUS Foundation of Canada
- Past Director, Mississauga Symphony Orchestra
- Past Director, Distress Centre Peel
- Briggs & Stratton Acquires Equity in Accelerated Systems, Inc.
- Mandatory Mask Policies and Human Rights
- Ontario’s Stay-at-Home Order and the Effect on Workplaces
- Employers in Peel Must Comply With Peel Public Health Order
- Mandatory COVID Screening in Workplaces
- CERB Program Extended as Economy Reopens Gradually
- New Regulatory Change to the ESA Provides Temporary Relief for Employers
- Provincial Government Update and Guidelines for Employers to Follow as Workplaces Reopen
- Ontario Extends Duration of Emergency Orders
- Update for Ontario Employers Regarding Recent COVID-19 Developments – April 3, 2020
- COVID-19 Update for Employers – March 23, 2020
- COVID-19: What Are Your Employee/Employer Rights?
- Coronavirus: What Employers Need to Know
- Pallett Valo’s Employment Law Group Is Expanding Its Service Offerings
- Pallett Valo Co-Hosts Legal Information Session with Toronto Shokokai
- New Making Ontario Open for Business Act to Reform Employment and Labour Laws
- Cannabis Legislation Update – New Legislation is in Force
- Getting hired
- Cannabis Legalization in Canada – Nuisance or Business Opportunity?
- Presenter, Be Mindful of the Mind: Managing Employee Mental Health Challenges, Pallett Valo – November 2020
- Presenter, What You Say Can Hurt You: Best Practices Governing Social Media at Work, Pallett Valo – October 2020
- Presenter, COVID-19 Employment Related Issues for Employers, Pallett Valo – September 2020
- Presenter, Not the Place to Get Buzzed: Cannabis in the Workplace, Pallett Valo – January 2020
- Speaker, “COVID-19 Legal Information Workshop” webinar, Ukrainian Canadian Congress – April 2020
- Speaker, “COVID-19 Employment Issues” webinar, The Alternative Board (TAB) – April 2020
I appreciate Andy’s knowledgeable and practical advice, as well as his responsiveness and personable nature.