Alan Kay’s practice focuses on commercial real estate, commercial leasing, corporate and commercial law, business acquisitions and sales, and business successions.
With over 25 years of experience, Alan acts for buyers, sellers, and institutional and private lenders in all matters relating to commercial real estate. In addition, he assists commercial landlords and commercial tenants with the drafting of leases for industrial premises, offices, mixed-use premises, strip malls, and both large and small retail spaces.
Alan is experienced in searching, researching, and dealing with complex real estate title issues.
Business organizations and structures from sole proprietorships, partnerships, limited partnerships, sole-shareholder corporations, professional corporations, to family businesses, can turn to Alan for advice and drafting of shareholder and partnership agreements.
His clients include the full spectrum of businesses from small and medium-sized enterprises, small retailers, large chain stores, to import-distributors, large corporations, and municipal corporations.
Furthermore, he acts for buyers and sellers in the sale of businesses, both in relation to asset and share purchases. He also acts in corporate reorganizations, estate freezes, and business successions.
Alan is skilled at negotiating, reviewing, and drafting a vast myriad of real estate and commercial agreements, including co-ownership, joint-venture, property maintenance, license, loan, and security agreements, restrictive covenants, and license agreements, easements, restrictive covenants, and leases.
His knowledge from years in the practice of real estate, corporate, and trust law, combined with his experience and thorough grasp of accounting, tax, and management concepts, along with his drafting skills, enable Alan to tailor-make his advice to suit his clients’ business objectives.
- Business Law,
- Commercial Real Estate,
- Business Structuring and Succession Planning,
- Commercial Agreements,
- Commercial Leasing,
- Commercial Mortgages,
- Corporate Finance,
- Corporate Governance,
- Corporate Reorganizations,
- Equipment Leasing,
- Joint Ventures,
- Mergers and Acquisitions,
- Mortgage Enforcement,
- Partnership Agreements,
- Real Estate Disputes,
- Real Estate Financing,
- Secured and Unsecured Transactions,
- Severance and Consent Applications,
- Shareholders Agreements
B.Comm., Saint Mary’s University (1988)
M.B.A., York University (1992)
LL.B., Osgoode Hall Law School (1992)
Called to the Ontario Bar, 1994
- Member, Law Society of Ontario
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, Ontario Bar Association
- Court of Appeal Upholds Power of Sale Safe Harbour Protection
- When Is It Too Late to Arbitrate?
- Ray Mikkola Authors a “How To” Guide on Condominium Development in Ontario
- Briggs & Stratton Acquires Equity in Accelerated Systems, Inc.
- Is a Text Message a Valid “Signature” Under the Law? A Recent Decision Says Yes
- Court Sets Aside Power of Sale Transfer to Good Faith Buyer
- Remote Signing and Witnessing of Wills – What Is Legally Permitted?
- New Real Estate Senior Counsel for Pallett Valo
- Alan Kay Joins Pallett Valo’s Commercial Real Estate Practice
- Presenter, What’s New in Real Estate Law: Serving the Family, OBA Institute – February 2022