Monty Dhaliwal focuses on commercial litigation, shareholder disputes, injunctions, commercial real estate disputes, insolvency, and corporate restructuring. He has a reputation as a tough advocate who can clean up a crisis with a steady hand.
Representing businesses of all sizes – from sole proprietors and small family businesses to multinationals – he has appeared before the Ontario Superior Court of Justice and Ontario Court of Appeal. Monty also represents clients in alternative dispute resolution, including private arbitrations.
Aiming to provide his clients with the best solution to resolve their disputes, he goes the extra mile to understand their businesses and the environment in which they operate, providing practical advice to address complex issues.
A fearless advocate for his clients, he acts on behalf shareholders and directors in complex shareholder and oppression disputes, in derivative actions, and in corporate governance issues. He knows that sometimes disputes need to be resolved, while others need to be litigated.
In commercial real estate disputes, he represents clients in litigating agreements of purchase and sale and leases for real estate. He also acts for developers in litigation matters arising during development activities. These include dealing with municipalities, neighbouring developments, and landowners. To keep the developments moving forward, Monty is known to use creative and aggressive advocacy.
Furthermore, he has experience in estate litigation, IP/trademark litigation, contract disputes, defamation, debt recovery, asset recovery, PPSA security enforcement, breach of contract, insurance litigation, Condominium Act litigation, and breach of trust. Monty also acts for clients in seeking injunctions against businesses and individuals, both urgently and as final orders.
- Commercial Litigation,
- Advising on BIA Proceedings,
- Alternative Dispute Resolution (Arbitration & Mediation),
- Commercial Disputes,
- Commercial Receiverships,
- Contract Disputes,
- Copyright Infringement,
- Corporate and Shareholder Disputes,
- Corporate Bankruptcy Petitions,
- Corporate Restructuring,
- Creditor Remedies,
- Creditor/Debtor Rights,
- Employment Litigation,
- Enforcement of Securities, Asset and Debt Recovery,
- Estate Litigation,
- Financial, Mortgage and Title Fraud,
- Injunctive Remedies,
- Mortgage Enforcement,
- Priority Disputes,
- Real Estate and Land Development Litigation,
- Risk Management,
- Secured and Unsecured Transactions
LL.B., University of Buckingham, United Kingdom (2011)
Called to the Ontario Bar, 2014
- Regional Councillor, Ontario Bar Association, Central West Region
- Member, Advocates’ Society (formerly a member of the Young Advocates’ Standing Committee)
- Elected Secretary, South Asian Bar Association
- Elected Director, South Asian Bar Association
- National Representative and Member, International Association of Young Lawyers (AIJA)
- Quoted (pg 28), Findings: South Asian Women Are Overlooked And Underemployed, Pink Attitude – March 2022
- Panel speaker, Getting the Most Out of Your Mentor and Sharing Insights, Women in Law Summit – February 2022
Monty has proven himself in difficult situations. He can be counted on when the team is facing tremendous odds.