Property owners, businesses, and others affected by expropriation may be entitled to compensation for loss of property and associated disruption/inconvenience arising from the expropriation. Expropriation is a complicated process. Legal assistance will help you ensure that you receive appropriate and fair compensation. Strict timelines are involved in the expropriation process, and in order to protect your rights, you must act within them.
Can the government expropriate your land without your consent? What losses will you be compensated for? Can you challenge it? How do you pursue a compensation claim?
The Expropriation Process in a Nutshell
- The government authority identifies property to be expropriated and may approach you in an attempt to negotiate compensation for the expropriation.
- The government authority serves you with a Notice of Application for Approval to Expropriate Land advising that the government authority is commencing formal expropriation proceedings.
- You will receive a Notice of Expropriation setting out the lands to be expropriated and requesting you to make a decision with respect to the date on which compensation is to be assessed.
- The government authority will make a formal offer of compensation to you setting out the amount it is offering to you.
- You must decide to either accept the offer as full and final compensation, or to accept an interim amount without prejudice to seeking greater compensation.
- If you choose to seek greater compensation, negotiations will commence to resolve the compensation amount. If you and the government are unable to come to an agreement, a hearing is scheduled before the Ontario Municipal Board to determine the compensation amount.
The Expropriation Lawyers
Pallett Valo LLP is Mississauga’s largest law firm with a team of expropriation lawyers ready to assist those affected by expropriation. We also have established relationships with property valuation experts to help you get the compensation you are entitled to.
CONNECT TO MEMBERS OF THE EXPROPRIATION GROUP: